Thursday, August 14

The impending relief of quitting

Last week, I quit a job for the first time.

It was a wrenching experience - I'm not really the quitting type. I'm the type who sticks with something, even if I hate it, just for the line on the resume and to prove that I'm dependable.

Or perhaps it's because I don't want to be in that conversation. The I'm Quitting conversation. I don't want to bring it up, to offer excuses or explanations, wonder if my boss will hold it against me. I'm a bit of a coward.

This job even had an end date, in only five weeks. In five weeks, I could be free and have a clear conscience. I could avoid the conversation, the bitter ex-boss, and find another job. I could uphold my personal pride, and make the project better.

But I couldn't wait five weeks. I wimped out and quit over email, but I did it. And, amazingly, I don't even get to relax because I have to find an apartment in the next 3 days or so. When I'm done with that I think I will be able to get over whatever has scattered my brain.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did sweet relief kick in at any point? When the alarm clock goes off and you realize you dont have to slave to the wage any longer!..at least not for awhile. I say enjoy your probably much deserved freedom. We all need a little break. No one should have to get out of bed before 12, or at least until they are good and ready

(Un)popular said...

I didn't know quitting over email was allowed. Did they do yur exit interview over email too? Tee hee...

(Un)popular said...

I didn't know quitting over email was allowed. Did they do yur exit interview over email too? Tee hee...

Ophelia said...

http://fuckwitsperverts.blogspot.com/

use to be

http://sipperofshiraz.blogspot.com

caramaena said...

Quitting and email, at our workplace, normally means someone's quit and has written a (usually very bitter) diatribe and emailed it round as a goodbye to everyone. There was one that was so memorable that the management restricted access to certain mailing lists after that.

The most memorable actual resignation was where one guy didn't turn up for his shift, then called half way through saying he was on a plane to New Zealand and that he quit - effective immediately.

Call centres can produce some pretty bitter workers sometimes!

Dantaniel said...

Doing over an email? Wow. That is kind of cowardly. Also, you say you're not much of a quitter, but you've been pretty inconsistent with this blog. I guess they're not the same thing though.

Unknown said...

Hey how are you doing? Hows life been since the big quit day??

Good Girl Gone Blog said...

I quit jobs at the drop of a hat. It's not that I'm not depenable -- it's that I don't like confinement, or feeling my spirit is crushed. I've also had the same part-time gig for 5+ years, but it's just bartending. However, that is my safety net, enabling me to quit the day job without too much fear.
An important fact: companies fire employees without a second thought, when they feel it is not the right fit or if they haven't delivered on their promises. So, why doesn't the employee have the same right without being branded a "quiter". Please, there are much worse things to be, like indifferent.

Anonymous said...

SHAME

Brooklyn Bar Association accepting stolen $$$ from the Chasidic Maddoff Thug Louis & Joel Kestenbaum to sponsor the Cocktail Hour.

It is a travesty of Justice when the Bar Association is accepting donations when actually this money comes from defaulted loans. How did 22 year old Joel Kestenbaum secure over 1 Billion dollars in Bank Loans which are now worthless guarentees and wiped out Banks like Corus Bank, Wachovia Bank, Bank of Netherland etc. View Madoff Kestenbaum History:

*Criminal Indictment in Ohio CR- 1-99-0023
U.S.A. v. Louis Kestenbaum for defrauding Proctor & Gamble millions of dollars.

Anonymous said...

It's very effortless to find out any topic on net as compared to books, as I found this article at this site.

Feel free to visit my webpage acoustic guitar a chord