Wednesday, September 19

When a pen is the best part of your day, you should be worried

I pulled a pen out of my purse as I walked to work at the college library, and took a moment to bask in the joy this specific pen had brought me.

Working at my customer service job over the summer, there had been a supply room with all the pens, pencils, and notepads our shrinking hearts could desire. As a result, everyone wrote their disheartening notes with the same crappy pens on the same crappy notepads.

One day at work my boss asked me to make a phone call to Comcast, pay the bill with the company credit card, and write down a confirmation number. Since the IT guy was fixing my computer, I sat down at an empty desk. Recently abandoned by a new employee who abruptly quit after two weeks, there wasn't much in the way of office supplies. When it came time to write down the confirmation number, I glanced around, scrambled around, stuttered a little, and finally found a pen lying in a drawer. As I wrote, I realized how nice this pen felt. It was one of those heavy ones, with a nice rubbery pad for your fingers, a weighted head, and a metal clicker.

After my phone call, I decided to take the pen with me, since nobody sat at the desk any longer. From then on, I wrote solely with this pen. Soon I noticed that not only did the pen feel nice, but my handwriting actually looked better!

Finishing this warm thought as I arrived at the library, I made the decision to never take another job where my introduction to a pen would be the most satisfying thing I did.

7 comments:

Crankyputz said...

I don't know, life is pretty mundane, and its the silly things like a good pen, that you've just stolen from your boss, that can give you the extra Omph to get through the day....

Big Momma Pimpalishisness With A Cherry On Top said...

If only we could know those things ahead of time...if only.

Dropout! said...

Yeah, that's gonna happen in a lot of jobs.

kat said...

I love - LOVE - a good pen. A good pen enhances my writing. It makes me pay my bills with a smile. A good pen is hard to come by and damnit if anyone tries to get their hands on it. I'm all "yeah... you have my pen".

The Accidental Bitch said...

crankyputz - My hope would be to live a life not quite that mundane.

big momma - Good point.

dropout! - Not if I quit all of them right away!

kat - It's true. But imagine how nice it would be if you didn't need the pen to make you feel that way.

Sean said...

my biggest problem with good pens is that i can't keep them

Christy said...

I made them order me nice pens at my soon-to-be-former employer, I plan on taking them all with me...I don't care!